Admitted students will be notified and guided by staff of International Office to take care the immigration process required before students start studying at UNS.

Do I need a visa to study at UNS? Yes, all admitted students need a visa to study at UNS.


What kind of visa do I need?

The type of visa the students need depends on the duration of the study. For students studying degree program i.e. bachelor, master, and doctoral program, the most suitable visa is Student Visa (Visa Index C13). Student visa is only valid for 30 days upon arrival and must be converted into stay permit with optional validity of 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years (depending on the duration of the study permit—commonly 1 year). If the students do not convert the visa into stay permit after 30 days upon arrival, the visa will not be valid anymore and the students need to leave Indonesian territory before the expiry date. To see more about immigration information, visit the official website of Immigration Directorate of Indonesia.

Main page:
Type of visa:
Other immigration services:


How to apply for a Student Visa?

To apply for a student visa, a study permit is required. Study permit is a document/letter containing international student’s data and official permission for the student to study in Indonesia. This document is issued by the Ministry of Education and Culture of Indonesia. Study permit is commonly granted for 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years, and can be extended when needed. In short, the procedure of applying a student visa is as the following: UNS applies for a study permit at the Ministry of Education and Culture. UNS applies for a student visa at Immigration Directorate. UNS sends visa approval letter to admitted students. Students take the visa at the selected Indonesian embassy. Students come to Indonesia and convert the visa into Stay Permit.


How to convert student visa into Stay Permit?

Below is the procedure of converting student visa: Students submit their passport to UNS International Office, fill immigration forms, and pay the conversion fee. Staff of International Office will submit the passport and other required documents to the Immigration Office in Surakarta. Upon receiving notification from International Office, students visit the Immigration Office in Surakarta to have their biometrics (photograph and finger prints) taken. The Immigration Office will process the conversion within one until two weeks. International Office will take the students’ passport and stay permit. Students take their passport at International Office.


What immigration procedure should I take when I finish my study?

Upon finishing their study, students will commonly leave Indonesia and go back to their home countries. UNS will stop the sponsor status from the students and the students must cancel their stay permit before leaving. This procedure must be done 7 days before the students leave. If the students wish to continue their study and stay in Indonesia for a longer period, they need to inform International Office.